Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Crockpot Chocolate Covered Peanut Clusters

I have seen several recipes for these candies, but this one was posted on a blog I follow (http://www.deepsouthdish.com/) and I liked the sound of it, so I went ahead and tried it!  They turned out fantastic!!!

Crockpot Chocolate Covered Peanut Clusters - adapted from http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2011/12/crockpot-candy-peanut-clusters.html

2 cups honey roasted peanuts
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 - 24 oz. package of chocolate flavored almond bark, broken into chunks
1 - 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate bar (I used Ghirardelli), broken into pieces
1- 12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp. Crisco
1 tsp. vanilla

Place the peanuts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Layer the almond bark, then the bittersweet chocolate, then the chocolate chips.  Place the crisco on top.  Do not add the vanilla yet.  Turn onto low and cook for 2 1/2 hours.  Stir.  If all the chocolate hasn't melted smooth, check again in 30 minutes.  When all is melted, stir in vanilla.  Spoon mixture onto waxed paper and let set for at least 2 hours. Makes 60-80 candies depending on size.

For additional add in ideas, please go to the Deep South Dish posting above!  She has lots of great ideas for other things to mix in.

NOTE:  Some slow cookers temperatures are hotter than others.  Especially newer ones.  I used my almost 17 year old crock pot for this and it was perfect.  My 2 month old crock pot would have burned these for sure.  If you think yours cooks hotter, than you should probably stir your mixture every half hour or so.  Or cook it on warm, it may take a little longer, but won't burn.  Read the original post for other suggestions by clicking the link above.


We all think these are fabulous!  I have given a ton of them away.  I got 81 pieces of candy out of it!!!   I have to admit, I was a little leery about the honey roasted peanuts.  But I wouldn't change a thing about them!!  My kids want me to make more...as if we need them with all of the other stuff I have made already!  'Tis the season, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment