Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies

I have been wanting to try I copycat recipe for these cookies for years. My kids are always begging me to buy them at the store, and occasionally I break down and get them, but now I can bake them myself. I actually think these are just a bit less sweet (not much). When I eat one of the store bought cookies I feel like I need a huge glass of milk to wash it down because they are so sweet!

Lofthouse Style Sugar Cookies - adapted from http://www.motherthyme.com/2011/11/lofthouse-sugar-cookies.html

3 cups cake flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla

Combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add one at a time and mix after each addition. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix well. Add flour mixture a little at a time and mix until combined.

Cover mixing bowl, and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.

Roll 2 tablespoons of dough at a time into a ball. Dough will be a little sticky, so flour your hands if needed. Place the balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Use your fingers to flatten each ball to abut 1/2 inch thick.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioner's sugar
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
Food coloring (optional)

Place butter in a mixing bowl and mix at low speed. Add confectioner's sugar 1 cup at a time,mixing well after each addition. Add in milk and vanilla and mix at medium speed until fluffy. Add in food coloring, if using.


We all LOVED these cookies. And actually, I thought they tasted better the next day after the frosting had time to set. This recipe made between 2 and 3 dozen. I did not double it this time since it was my first time making it, but I may double it next time and freeze half of the cookies unfrosted.

These are versatile cookies that can be decorated for any holiday! And you will no longer need to buy them at the store!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment