Friday, December 2, 2011

Baked Potato Soup


I made this soup recently because it sounded easy and yummy. Pretty much two things I look for in a recipe. I adapted this recipe from one I saw in Souther Living magazine.

Baked Potato Soup

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup flour
3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 1 Knorr extra large cube)
1 (24 oz.) bag of frozen steam and mash potatoes (like Ore Ida)
2 cups milk
Fresh ground pepper, to taste

Optional toppings: cooked bacon pieces, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sliced green onion/chopped chives.

In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook about 10 minutes or until golden and soft, stirring often.
Stir flour into mixture. Add water and bouillon, leave heat at medium and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Microwave the potatoes according to the directions on the bag. But dont do any more than cook them!! When potatoes are done cooking, let sit in bag for a couple minutes. Carefully open the bag, pour into a bowl and mash.
Add mashed potatoes, milk and pepper into the onion mixture. Bring heat back up to medium and cook soup, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until the desired thickness. The soup will thicken as it cools.
Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings.


You know that I love to have leftovers at my house, so I doubled this. Faith, Frank and I loved it. Frankie didn't love it quite so much, but that didn't surprise me.

One thing I like about this recipe is that I can buy these potatoes when they are on sale and keep them in the freezer to pull out on a day when I don't have a meal planned. All of the other ingredients I usually have on hand!

I think you will be happy with the outcome of this recipe. It's a homemade soup with an easy shortcut with the frozen potatoes. No one will no if you don't tell!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment