Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I hadn't made this soup in a really long time, and was thinking about it recently, so I decided to make it again. This was posted on my old blog as well, so it's possible you have seen it before. My friend Megan O. shared this recipe a while back. It is very easy and perfect for a cold, winter evening!  Sorry, no picture!  :(

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 - 6 oz. box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 - 8 oz. package mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
2 cups water
2 tbsp sherry or dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
32 oz. box low sodium chicken broth
1 - 12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 large cans chicken OR 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken

Prepare rice according to directions on box. You do not need to use the butter or oil. Set rice aside.
Heat oil in large pot over med/high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms (if using). Cook until veggies are soft, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle flour and thyme onto veggies. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add water, sherry or wine, broth and evaporated milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until soup thickens slightly. Stir occasionally.
Stir in cooked rice and chicken. Cook for 10 more minutes or until heated through.


This soup has a lot of flavor thanks to the thyme!! I left out the mushrooms since I knew my kids would complain. Faith still complained because she doesn't like rice. Oh well. The rest of us loved it!

I wanted to make this soup ahead of time, but couldn't just dump it all in the slow cooker, so I had another idea. I was lucky to receive a new slow cooker for my birthday this past fall, and it has a cast iron insert that I can use on the stove. So, I used this pot to make the soup, then just put the lid on and put it into the slow cooker on warm. It was in there for about 4 hours and it was fine! Much better than making it later!!

Either way you make it, it is well worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment