Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pistachio-Chocolate Checkers

This cookie recipe is not one that came from either my or my husband's family. It is one I came across myself about 12 years ago, although I do not know where I got it from!! It is a fairly easy recipe that makes a lot of cookies.

I wasn't planning to make these this year, but my husband and kids were very disappointed to find that out. So I added them back to the list.

Pistachio-Chocolate Checkers

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter (REAL butter, no substitutes!)
1 egg
2 2/3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tbsp milk
1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
2 to 3 drops green food coloring

In a large bowl beat the powdered sugar, butter and egg on medium speed with an electric mixer. Add flour and salt. Mix well. Divide dough in half. Stir cocoa and milk into one half. Stir food coloring and nuts into other half. Pat the chocolate dough into a 6"x5" rectangle. Divide in half so you have two-3 inch wide strips. Divide each of those in half again. Then each of those in half again. You should now have 8 strips of dough that are 3/4"x5". Repeat with the green dough. Once you have all the dough divided, take a strip of green and chocolate and set them side by side. Top with another green and chocolate, alternating colors on top. Wrap in wax paper and press the strips tightly together after it is wrapped. Repeat until you have 4 wrapped bars of cookie dough. Wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut rectangles crosswise into 1/4" slices. Place about 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set, not browned.


As I was typing up that description, it sounds a lot harder than it is to make. There was not really a good way for me to explain it. And now, that you are totally confused, I am really going to mess with you!! You know that when I am baking holiday cookies I like to make double batches whenever I can. Well, this recipe is no exception. Except that when doubling this recipe, it's the same up until the point where you split the dough in half to add the coloring and nuts to half, and the cocoa and milk to the other half. I don't split the dough, and only double the nuts and coloring in one batch, then make another batch and only double the cocoa and milk. Everything else is the same.

I know, it seems overwhelming. I am mega overwhelmed right now, so thankfully, I know these are much easier to make than they sound. And, thankfully, mine are already done!

No comments:

Post a Comment