Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cabbage Casserole

I first tried this Casserole at my friend Kellie F.’s house. This is a recipe that her mom makes…and it’s REALLY good! I was hoping that she would share the recipe with me, and of course, she did! Now I am going to share it with you!
If you like Stuffed Cabbage (which I do), then you will like this. I think it’s even better, and way easier.

Cabbage Casserole

1 lb. ground sirloin or turkey
1 lb. italian sausage
1 medium head of cabbage cut in 2”x2” pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup rice (like Uncle Ben’s Converted, not Minute Rice)
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 cups of water
1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown the hamburger and sausage in a Dutch oven, or large pot. Once browned, add remaining ingredients, and mix well. Cover and simmer on low for 1 – 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.

This has got to be one of my most favorite meals.  And it is incredibly easy.   You can easily chop all the veggies the night before making this.  The cabbage doesn’t have to be in perfect 2”x2” pieces, but you want them a decent size because they will cook up…don’t shred it. I used 3 cups of water in mine and it was the perfect amount. You can also use less Ro-Tel if you don’t want it as spicy (I don’t think it’s THAT spicy), but the Ro-Tel does give it a lot of flavor. Also, the italian sausage you use will add flavor, so you can always buy spicy sausage if you prefer, as well.
This makes a LOT of food. You can cut it in half, or eat it as leftovers. I am not sure how it would freeze…but you can make it ahead and transfer to a casserole dish to heat in the oven later, or to share with a friend or family member!

No comments:

Post a Comment