Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole


This casserole is one of the side dishes I made for Thanksgiving. You may have seen this recipe on my old blog last year. My mom got this recipe from a family friend, Judy G., many years ago, and it quickly became a favorite of ours. It is like eating dessert WITH your dinner!

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk or cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Cut sweet potatoes into chunks of roughly the same size. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring potatoes to a boil and let boil until you can easily pierce with a fork (about 20 minutes?). Drain potatoes in a colander and return to pan and mash. Add butter, vanilla, milk/cream, eggs and sugar. Mix well. Place into a baking dish (a 9x13 dish works well). Mix topping ingredients with a fork until they resemble coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over casserole and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

You can make this a couple days ahead of time and store covered in the refrigerator. You will need to increase the baking time if making them ahead!

Sorry I don't know the exact time I boil the sweet potatoes for....I guess that is probably important information. I just always check them around 15 minutes, and then again at 20 minutes. They should easily break up with a fork when checking.

This is my kids absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish. I love it, but I think they may love it more! My husband won't touch it. He has a dislike for sweet potatoes, so even though this is a completely sugared up version of sweet potatoes, he still won't eat it. This past Thanksgiving, I made a full feast even though it was just the 4 of us, partly because I wanted to not have to cook the rest of the weekend. It worked! My kids were begging for sweet potato casserole for breakfast! I said, "Go for it!". I just didn't want to see any of the food go to waste, so I didn't care what meal they ate it!

Anyhow, I highly recommend this dish. It's delish. Don't listen to my husband. Seriously. He doesn't know what he's missing. And that's fine. More for the rest of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment