Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Snowballs


Another cookie that I make every year is known by many names such as Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, or by the name my family calls them (for obvious reasons): Snowballs!! My mom has also been making these for as long as I can remember. They are melt in your mouth yummy! And so very easy to make.

Snowballs

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Stir together the flour and salt and add to butter mixture. Mix in nuts. Chill dough.
(At this point I prefer to take all the dough out of the bowl and flatten it into a disk around 1/2 to 1 inch thick. No need to be exact. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or wax paper and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.) When ready to bake, shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until set, but don't let them brown. The cookies do not spread, so you only need to leave a little space between each cookie. While still warm, roll in powdered sugar. Cool. Roll in powdered sugar again.


As you probably know, I make several different kinds of Christmas cookies, and I start making them in October or November and freezing them. When I make these and freeze them, I don't roll them in the powdered sugar the second time until I thaw them from the freezer before serving or giving away.

These are another cookie that is a good one for kids to help with! My kids love to help with these. And they eat as much dough as I will let them since they know there aren't any eggs in them!

Happy Baking!

1 comment: