Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Magic Cookie Bars


Bar cookies are one of my favorite things to make because they don't usually require as much work as other cookies. These are another cookie I have been enjoying my entire life, and another family favorite. And again, I have heard these called several different names. I call them Magic Cookie Bars, but my husband grew up knowing them as Santa Snacks. Please share any other names you know them as in the comments!!

Magic Cookie Bars

1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

Place butter in a 9x13 pan and turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Place the pan in the oven as it is heating up to melt the butter. Watch carefully as you don't want to burn it! When butter is melted, carefully remove pan from oven and tip the pan so that the butter coats the entire bottom of the pan and about 1/4 inch up the sides. Add the graham cracker crumbs into the pan and mix into the butter. Press crumb mixture onto the bottom of pan with a fork. Next layer the coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips. Then take a clean fork or the back of a spoon and press down on the chocolate chips to push them a little farther into the other ingredients. This will help them stick to the cookie bars when all done. (I forgot to do this one time, and lost several chocolate chips after cutting). Drizzle or spoon the condensed milk evenly over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes. While still warm, run an knife around the edge of the pan so they will be easier to remove when cool.

These cookies freeze very well. I put them in ziploc freezer bags in 2 layers, placing a piece of wax paper between the layers. They stack easily in the freezer, and aren't fragile like some of the other cookies I make.

Feel free to make these using different nuts or chocolate chips to experiment with the flavor, if you want. I have never done this, because part of what I love about them is the remind me of my childhood! And I love them just the way they are!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I called and call them magic cookie bars as well but I assemble them a bit differently. After the graham cracker crust I put the the sweetened condensed milk, then chocolate chips (mini), then coconut, then nuts. I am going to try your way next time....I love this combination of ingredients and I agree they do freeze well. Can't wait to try 'em! Amie

    ReplyDelete