Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Kisses


I have several recipes that I made for Thanksgiving to share with you, but I think it would be more practical for me to share my Christmas treats with you now! That way, you can make them to enjoy yourself or give to others!

Most of you know that I enjoy making lots and lots of Christmas cookies. This is one of my regular cookies that I make every year. My family would hurt me if I didn't make them. I am kidding. Sort of.

I have been making Peanut Butter Kisses for years. I have also heard them called Peanut Butter Blossoms, and you may have another name, but it doesn't matter because the end result is the same: YUM! My mom always made these growning up, but this is not the same recipe she used. I am not exactly sure where I got this one...possibly off of a bag of Hershey Kisses.

Peanut Butter Kisses

48 unwrapped Hershey Kisses
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
granulated sugar

Mix flour, baking soda & salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Beat butter and shortening together until well blended. Add both sugars, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix well. Add the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture a little at a time, until it is all mixed in. Form dough into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place the cookes 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately after removing cookie sheet from oven, carefully press a Hershey Kiss into the middle of each cookie. After placing them all, go back and give each of them a gentle twist. This will help secure them to the cookie. Let cool for a few minutes on the pan before removing to a cooling rack. Do not store the cookies until the chocolate has completely firmed up again!!


I do want to mention something about the sugar I prefer. I only use cane sugar. If your sugar does not specifically say it's cane sugar, then it is most likely beet sugar. There is DEFINITELY a difference when it comes to baking. I use the Domino brand for all my sugar (granulated, brown, and powdered). It is a little more pricey, but it is worth it for the quality of your baked goods! You can research the difference between the two sugars for yourself (I have) and make your own decision!

If you have never made these, they are very easy to make, and a good cookie for young bakers to help with. Lots of unwrapping of candy,rolling dough into balls and rolling in sugar to do, and that is perfect for little hands! I know my kids love to help with all that!

Anyhow, I will be sharing more of my cookie recipes with you soon! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I make these with mini Reese's peanut butter cups rather than Hersey's Kisses.

    ReplyDelete