Monday, November 28, 2011

Baked Brisket


I had never cooked a beef brisket before yesterday, but my daughter had been begging me to make one ever since she had some at a friend's house in October. I saw this recipe and it sounded like a good one to make for the first time.

Baked Brisket - adapted from a Southern Living magazine recipe

1 12 oz. bottle of chili sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 can Coke (not diet)
1 box Lipton dry onion soup mix
1 4 to 5 pound beef brisket

Mix the chili sauce, ketchup, Coke and BOTH packets of the onion soup mix together. In a roasting pan, put the brisket in fat side up and pour all of the chili sauce mixture over it. Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 4 hours at 350 degrees. You should be able to cut it with a fork when it is done. Let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Top slices with pan juices, if desired.


The brisket I bought was just under 5 pounds and took 4 hours to cook. Don't trim off any of the fat. This helps keep the meat moist while cooking, and it comes right off after it is cooked. This brisket was so tender, it was impossible to slice. It was more like shredded beef, which was great, too!

Everyone in my family loved this. We ate it for 2 nights, and there are still leftovers. The sauce had a good taste. The whole flavor reminded me of a tomato based beef stew recipe from my Grandma that I make. I served it with some mashed potatoes, broccoli, and rolls.

I would make this again, but I would also like to try another brisket recipe just to have something to compare it to. It's hard to say when something's good, when you haven't made or at least tried a few different recipes! If you have a recipe for brisket you love, please let me know. I would love to try it!

More recipes to come! I have been baking Christmas cookies, and will be starting to prep my Thanksgiving dishes today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment