Monday, November 12, 2012

Banana Bread

Banana bread is another favorite quick bread in our house!  I had some bananas on the counter yesterday that needed to be used up, so of course this is what I made.  No chocolate chips though.  :)  Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate chips in a lot of things.  Just not in my breads!

Banana Bread - Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I like canola)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1.  Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a loaf pan. 
2.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
3,  In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork until relatively smooth.  Add the egg, sugar and oil.  Mix well.
4.  Add all the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. 
5.  Fold in walnuts.
6.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling on rack.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

I cannot wait to have a piece of this with my coffee this morning!!  My kids had some with their breakfast before school and loved it! 

I have been making this recipe for years.  I have tried several others and always gone back to this one!  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment