Sunday, December 2, 2012

Hearty Oven Baked Chili

I have not made this chili in years.  Seriously.  I think the last time I made it before this time was when we lived in Michigan more than 7 years ago.  I am not really sure why, but I got it in my head that I didn't like it.  Well, was I wrong.  My husband kept asking me to make it, so I finally did last week, and I LOVE it.  And my kids thought it was great, too! 

It makes a ton, so it's great if you have a large family, are going to have company, or just want to have leftovers.  It does require a little prep (like anything!), but then you just put it in the oven and let it bake.

I have adapted this recipe from a Pampered Chef recipe that I got years ago.

Hearty Oven Baked Chili

2 1/2 pounds boneless meat stew meat, excess fat trimmed and cut into bite size pieces (1/2 inch cubes)
4 garlic cloves, minced (I use dried garlic)
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups onions, coarsley chopped
2 cups green pepper, coarsely chopped
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained1
1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 1/2 oz) kidney beans (or your favorite beans), drained and rinsed
Sour cream
Shredded Cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place meat cubes into a large, oven proof dutch oven, (or I use the Pampered Chef Stoneware Baking Bowl).  Sprinkle garlic and all seasonings over meat.  Stir to coat the meat well.  Add chopped onions, green pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans.  Mix well.  Cover and bake for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.  (2 1/2 hours has always worked for me).  Carefully remove from oven and lift lid away from you to avoid the hot steam that will come out!!  Serve topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese, if desired.


We ate this for a few days, and it was so good every time.  I baked some cornbread to go with it and it was a great meal for a cold day! 

I will definitely be making it again soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I have a bunch of meat that I'm not sure what to do with since we bought a half cow months ago...

    ReplyDelete