Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes and Feta

I have been searching for healthy vegetable dishes to serve as side dishes. I love all these flavors and decided to try this recipe I found at myrecipes.com with a couple small changes. You can view the original recipe here.

Asparagus with Balsamic Tomatoes and Feta

1 pound asparagus, trimmed
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic or 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons crumbled reduced-fat feta
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook asparagus in boiling water 2 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Drain.

2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 3 minutes. Stir in salt. Arrange asparagus on a platter; top with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.


I served this along side meatloaf and we really liked it.  The kids did not eat it, but that was fine because there was more for us. The one part of the recipe I was confused about was cooking the asparagus. I was unsure whether to bring the water to a boil, then add the asparagus, or put the asparagus in the pot with the water, bring to a boil, and then cook for 2 minutes. Well, I ended up putting the asparagus in before bringing the water to a boil, but I was happy with the result.  I like my asparagus a little more tender than crisp, but I don't like it soggy.  So it's up to you to decide how you want to try it.  If you make it the other way, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment