Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I saw this recipe and immediately thought of my kids. I am always buying granola bars at the store and they are expensive and full of ingredients I can't pronounce.  I thought maybe these would be a good alternative, and even though they still have a fair amount of sugar, I am in control of the ingredients. 
This recipe came to me from an e-mail from Taste of Home. Click here to go to the original recipe.


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

1/2 cup your favorite peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the peanut butter, honey, egg, oil and vanilla together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar and salt. Add half of dry mixture to wet mixture and mix well. Repeat with the other half.  Stir in chips.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan/dish with non-stick spray.  Spread mixture into the pan and pack it down well with the back of a spoon. It is normal for the batter to seem sticky. 

Bake for 15 minutes or until set.  Place dish on a wire rack until cool. Cut into bars. 


My kids are absolutely crazy for these. And they are so easy to make. I have already made a couple batches and have been wrapping some of them in wax paper and placing in a freezer bag and freezing them so when the crazy baseball/softball season starts in March, I will have a head start on some quick snacks.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment