Monday, September 9, 2013

Easy Homemade Cole Slaw

I know I should have probably posted this recipe at the beginning of summer, but really you can eat cole slaw anytime!  And sorry about the awful picture.  It's the only one I have.  Next time I make it, I'll update it to a better one!

I like cole slaw.  A lot.  But after making my own...I've become rather picky.  I got this recipe from Shelley R. when she heard me talking about buying cole slaw for a get together I was having.  She said this was the best and she was right.  And it's soooo easy.  I modified it a tiny bit by adding the shredded carrot.  Feel free to leave it out if you want.

Easy Homemade Cole Slaw

1 head cabbage
1 medium sweet onion
1 or 2 carrots
1 cup Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk

Using a large, sharp knife, slice the cabbage into large chunks.  Thinly slice each chunk (almost like you are trying to shave it).  After I slice a bunch of it, I like to cut the whole thing into smaller, mouth size pieces.  I just grab the whole pile of shreds and cut it into thirds and throw it into a large bowl.  Next dice the onion into small pieces.  I like to use my Pampered Chef chopper.  Scrape it all into the bowl with the cabbage.  Grate the carrots using the large, shredding side of a grater.  Please watch your fingers!!  Add the carrots and mix well. 

Mix the dressing together and pour over cabbage mixture.  Mix it in with a large spatula until it is all coated.  Let chill for a few hours and then serve!

Sometimes I make up both the cabbage mixture and the dressing the night before I need the cole slaw, but I don't mix it together until the morning of the day I am going to serve it. 

Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment