Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta


A couple of weeks ago, I asked the kids to go through some cookbooks and pick out some new recipes to try.  Frankie picked this recipe and I was a little skeptical, but not wanting to discourage him, I decided to make it. 

Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta - adapted from The Busy Family Cookbook

8 ounces penne pasta
1 pound ground beef (I used sirloin)
6 strips of bacon, diced
1 can condensed tomato soup (do not add water!)
1 cup shredded cheddar
Barbecue sauce and yellow mustard for topping

1.  Boil pasta according to the directions on package.
2.  While pasta is cooking, brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink.  Drain and scoop meat out into a heat proof bowl, and set aside. 
3.  In the same skillet, cook the bacon pieces until they are crispy.  Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and place the pieces on a plate lined with a couple of paper towels.  Drain the bacon drippings from the pan. 
4.  Add cooked pasta to the skillet, return the beef and bacon to the pan as well.  Add in the tomato soup and let it all heat through.  Add the cheese on top, then cover and let cheese melt for a minute or two.  Serve with barbecue sauce and mustard.


Ok, I know it does not sound healthy, but there are so many things you can substitute in the recipe to make it "healthier".  I made it as written this time, but I would not be opposed to using whole wheat pasta, ground turkey, and low fat cheese. 

I wasn't sure about the barbecue sauce and mustard, but believe me when I say, this is what made it taste SO yummy.  It really was much tastier than I anticipated.  We all gave Frankie the credit for picking it out, because honestly, it's not something I would have just looked at in the cook book and decided to make.

If you have a family bigger than 4, I'd suggest doubling it.  We finished it, and there was at least one (teen boy) that would have eaten more if there had been more.  Serve this with a big salad and you have an easy, yummy weeknight meal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment