Monday, October 7, 2013

Nut-Free No-Bake Bars



I saw a recipe on Pinterest for no-bake bars that looked good, but my son and I are allergic to peanuts and several tree nuts, so I adapted this recipe using Sunbutter and no tree nuts.  They are quite tasty, and still have a buttery taste.  Not quite the same as peanut butter, but hey, if you can't have it, you take what you can get. 

Nut-Free No-Bake Bars

1 cup Sunbutter (or other sunflower butter)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil) (I used butter)
2 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking or instant)
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup craisins, raisins, or nuts (I used craisins only)
1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips (I bought Nestle dark chocolate chips)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line a 9x9 pan with non-stick foil or grease the pan. (I like foil, then I can lift it out to cut the bars)

In a medium saucepan, melt the peanut butter, honey and butter over medium low heat.  Watch this closely.  It won't take long to melt, and you don't want it to burn.  When it's just about all melted, add the chocolate chips and stir until they are melted.  Remove from heat. 

Stir in the vanilla.  Next add the oats, coconut, and nuts/raisins.  Stir until well mixed.  Spread into prepared pan.  Place in refrigerator until hardened.  Cut into bars and enjoy!


I thought these were really good, and my son was quite excited to have something he can eat for a change! (As if you couldn't tell from the picture.) We will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment